“In the beginning 100% Of your battles are external, over a period of time 50% is internal and 50% is external”
“Focus on being an entrepreneur (and not on your idea)”
“Motivation is like having a bath! You need to keep motivating yourself every day!”
– Varun Mayya, founder of “Jobspire” (recruitment platform that connects job seekers and startups!)
In this week’s episode, we talk to Varun Mayya, the CEO and one of the founders of Jobspire. This is a recruitment company with a twist. This is a platform that connects job seekers and startups! They do this by focusing on a special algorithm based evaluation of the candidate. From the employee’s perspective, they provide a visual of the company. And the best part? This service is free for potential job seekers!
Download and Listen to this episode Offline (Right-Click and Choose “Save As..”)
Varun is a young entrepreneur who just finished college sometime back. But he’s not new to the startup world having founded Sizr earlier. Varun talks about the #1 every founder needs to do. And no, this isn’t about reaching out to customers or building a great team (though he does acknowledge their importance too). I’ll give you a hint, it’s to do with Varun’s burnout that he experienced in the past. Listen to the show to find out more
Varun was kind enough to share a ton of resources for would-be founders:
- Jobspire – Are you a job seeker or a startup looking to hire great people? Check them out to find out how the platform connects job seekers and startups
- Books that Varun recommends are – “Flow” by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, “Super Genes” by Deepak Chopra, “You Are Not So Smart…” (it’s a long title) by David McRaney, “Thinking, Fast and Slow” by Daniel Kahneman, “The Hard Thing About Hard Things” by Ben Horowitz , “Startup CEO” by Matt Blumberg, “Venture Deals” by Brad Feld – phew that was quite a list!
- He recommends a 1000+ slide presentation by Ryan Allis (founder of iContact and Hive) – available here
- Varun also talks about a great course on “Social Psychology” by Wesleyan University. This is available for free at Coursera!
- Reach out to Varun via Mayya AT jobspire.net and hello AT varunmayya.com
Please share this episode if you liked what you hear. The ripple effect in passing on this knowledge won’t be possible without your help